|18th July - 5th August 2001, Middlesex University, London
CellBytes01 was a joint research residency project between shinkansen and ResCen, the third in a series of CellBytes research intensives by shinkansen which have evolved and developed research into the body, presence and telematics.
CellBytes01 focused on extending creation and performance processes, through remote but connected stages. Based on the extension of the body into virtual presence, it explores real time links between sound, movement and image.
Integrating advanced learning practice into artistic production, CellBytes01 created new paradigms of creativity in an environment of exchange, practice and debate. Primary questions CellBytes01 explored include: What is live? What is natural? What does it mean to be embodied? Can one inhabit multiple worlds through multiple identities? What evolutions of touch and intimacy, empathy and trust are possible with communication through telepresence?
The CellBytes series has been supported by ResCen, and this growing partnership informed the current collaboration into Middlesex University.
See Cluster(s) to see how the CellBytes research became practice within the context of club nights.
- Christopher Bannerman [ResCen/London] - co-director / choreographer
- Roberto Battista [Middlesex University/London] - web / computing
- Jane Beveridge [British/London] - performer / choreographer
- Leanne Bird [shinkansen/London] -
dancer / co-ordinator
- Ghislaine Boddington [shinkansen/London] -
- Francisco Camacho [Lisbon] - choreographer / dramaturgy
- Andrew Chetty [ICA/London] -
- Chiang Hsiao Chin [Taipei] - choreographer / performer
- John Clark [London] - lighting designer / production
- Marie Forbes [London] - performer / choreographer
- Lau Yip, Foo [London] - digital artist
- Joseph Hyde [Bristol] - co-director / digital artist
- Jo Hughes [London] - interactive media artist / performer
- Yuzo Ishiyama [Tokyo] - multi-media artist / choreographer
- Takashi Iwamoto - [K.Bit/Japan] - dancer
- Claire Keating [London] - dancer
- Kunihiko Matsuo [Tokyo] - multi-media artist / sound designer
- Tim Mascall [London] - lighting designer / technician
- Susan Melrose [ResCen/London] - documentor / researcher
- Lisa Millward [London] - textile / print designer/ resources co-ordinator
- Estelle Neveux [shinkansen/London] - production
- Pui-Shan Ng [ResCen/shinkansen/London] - project co-ordinator/video artist
- Takashi Ohashi - [K.Bit/Japan] - dancer
- Myriam Ojeda-Patino [London] - performer / choreographer
- Jayachandran Palazhy [London-Bangalore] - choreographer/performer
- Jiva Parthipan [/London] - performer / choreographer
- Niki Pollard [London] - documentor / writer
- Anthony Rayner [Middlesex University/London] - IT / computing
- Akihiko Shibata - [K.Bit/ Japan] - dancer
- Liliana Coutinho da Silva [Lisbon] - video / sculpture artist
- Mariyo Takayasu - [IMA/Japan] - dancer
- Athina Vahla [London] - performer / choreographer
- Andrew Ward [shinkansen/London] - web designer / caster
- Liam Wells [Norwich] - digital assembler
Dance process and dramaturgy by shinkansen
Funding and support: ResCen (Middlesex University), shinkansen, Arts Council of England, Future Physical (East England Arts/shinkansen), London Arts, NEST Tokyo and Pinnacle Systems.
<link to CellBytes01 website>
<link to CellBytes01 media gallery>
<link to CellBytes01 video archive>
<link to Creative User website>